Ireland braced for "sordid" clerical abuse report
Dublin: Ireland braced for a second report into clerical child abuse on Thursday in a country still reeling from harrowing findings of an inquiry earlier this year.
Disclosures in May of decades of floggings, slave labour and gang rape in much of Ireland`s now defunct system of industrial and reform schools shamed the Irish and further eroded the Catholic Church`s moral authority in the country.
A report on the handling of allegations of child sex abuse in the archdiocese of Dublin from 1975 to 2004 will be published on Thursday and church leaders have already warned of its horrific content.
"In these days we will be reading of sordid events that took place within the Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Dublin," Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said at a ceremony last week.
Work on the report, which began in 2006, was completed months ago but publication was delayed until clearance was given by the High Court last week with some details removed because they could jeopardise criminal proceedings.
The National Counselling Service said on Wednesday that it had organised a coordinated response with other groups after it saw a 49 percent increase in calls following the publication of the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse findings in May.
In the five-volume report, which took nine years to compile, orphanages and industrial schools in 20th century Ireland were described as places of fear, neglect and endemic sexual abuse.
That inquiry, chaired by a high court judge, criticised religious authorities for covering up the crimes and the Department of Education for colluding in the silence. It noted children were also preyed upon by foster parents, volunteer workers and employers.
The report is due for release at 2.15 pm by the Justice Ministry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged