Ireland calls on Israel to free activists
Jerusalem: Ireland is urging Israel to quickly release international activists who were captured while attempting to breach Israel`s blockade of the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli Navy intercepted two boats bound for Gaza on Friday. Israel has maintained its naval blockade since Hamas militants took control of the territory in 2007.
Of the 27 people on board, 19 remained in Israeli custody Thursday. Among them are an Irish member of the European Parliament and several other Irish citizens.
The Irish Foreign Ministry says Foreign Minister Eamon Gilmore met with the Israeli ambassador Wednesday to demand the "earliest possible departure" for the activists.
Israeli officials said Thursday that the activists refused to sign waivers that would have allowed them to leave sooner, and they are being deported on available flights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey