Ireland calls on Israel to free activists
Jerusalem: Ireland is urging Israel to quickly release international activists who were captured while attempting to breach Israel`s blockade of the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli Navy intercepted two boats bound for Gaza on Friday. Israel has maintained its naval blockade since Hamas militants took control of the territory in 2007.
Of the 27 people on board, 19 remained in Israeli custody Thursday. Among them are an Irish member of the European Parliament and several other Irish citizens.
The Irish Foreign Ministry says Foreign Minister Eamon Gilmore met with the Israeli ambassador Wednesday to demand the "earliest possible departure" for the activists.
Israeli officials said Thursday that the activists refused to sign waivers that would have allowed them to leave sooner, and they are being deported on available flights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack