Ireland: Police forces raid brothels, arrest 8
Dublin: Police say several hundred officers in both parts of Ireland are mounting a crackdown on prostitution, raiding 140 suspected brothels and pimps` homes.
The Republic of Ireland`s police force says the operation followed lengthy surveillance of brothels and sought to target the pimps managing prostitutes, most of them women from Eastern Europe and Africa, in more than a dozen cities and towns. The swoops started at dawn yesterday and spread today.
Three suspected pimps were arrested in the Irish Republic, five others in the British territory of Northern Ireland. Detectives seized extensive records from computers and cellphones.
Officers in both forces say prostitutes themselves were not targeted for arrest, because they are considered victims of exploitation.
In Belfast, three women in their 20s were charged today with running brothels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city