Ireland: Police forces raid brothels, arrest 8
Dublin: Police say several hundred officers in both parts of Ireland are mounting a crackdown on prostitution, raiding 140 suspected brothels and pimps` homes.
The Republic of Ireland`s police force says the operation followed lengthy surveillance of brothels and sought to target the pimps managing prostitutes, most of them women from Eastern Europe and Africa, in more than a dozen cities and towns. The swoops started at dawn yesterday and spread today.
Three suspected pimps were arrested in the Irish Republic, five others in the British territory of Northern Ireland. Detectives seized extensive records from computers and cellphones.
Officers in both forces say prostitutes themselves were not targeted for arrest, because they are considered victims of exploitation.
In Belfast, three women in their 20s were charged today with running brothels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’