Irene damage could be `tens of billions`: US guv
New York: The damage from Hurricane Irene to
the already battered US economy could reach tens of billions
of dollars, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie warned today.
Christie gave his assessment, speaking on NBC news, as
Irene caused widespread flooding and structural damage across
a vast swath of the eastern US seaboard, from North Carolina
to New York.
"I`ve got to imagine the damage estimates will be in the
billions of dollars if not the tens of billions of dollars,"
said Christie, whose state has a long ocean coastline and was
particularly badly hit.
Irene weakened to tropical storm status today as it
crashed into New York City, the National Hurricane Center
said, but the still powerful storm was flooding parts of lower
Experts said the financial toll would be much higher if,
as transpired, there was a direct hit on New York, the US
financial capital and largest city with nearly 19 million
people living in its metropolitan area.
Kinetic Analysis Corp, a company that does computer
modelling of predicted storm damage, predicted Friday that
Irene would cause USD 5-10 billion in damages, based on the
latest available weather data.
Losses could include damage to flooded buildings,
business interruptions and cleanup costs picked by the
government, said Chuck Watson, the company`s director of
research and development.
Reporting today, the company said losses in North and
South Carolina, the first states hit as Irene made landfall on
Friday, are expected to range between USD 200 million and USD
The costliest hurricane in US history was Katrina, which
flooded New Orleans in 2005 and is estimated to have caused
more than USD 100 billion in losses.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata