Irene damage could be `tens of billions`: US guv
New York: The damage from Hurricane Irene to
the already battered US economy could reach tens of billions
of dollars, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie warned today.
Christie gave his assessment, speaking on NBC news, as
Irene caused widespread flooding and structural damage across
a vast swath of the eastern US seaboard, from North Carolina
to New York.
"I`ve got to imagine the damage estimates will be in the
billions of dollars if not the tens of billions of dollars,"
said Christie, whose state has a long ocean coastline and was
particularly badly hit.
Irene weakened to tropical storm status today as it
crashed into New York City, the National Hurricane Center
said, but the still powerful storm was flooding parts of lower
Experts said the financial toll would be much higher if,
as transpired, there was a direct hit on New York, the US
financial capital and largest city with nearly 19 million
people living in its metropolitan area.
Kinetic Analysis Corp, a company that does computer
modelling of predicted storm damage, predicted Friday that
Irene would cause USD 5-10 billion in damages, based on the
latest available weather data.
Losses could include damage to flooded buildings,
business interruptions and cleanup costs picked by the
government, said Chuck Watson, the company`s director of
research and development.
Reporting today, the company said losses in North and
South Carolina, the first states hit as Irene made landfall on
Friday, are expected to range between USD 200 million and USD
The costliest hurricane in US history was Katrina, which
flooded New Orleans in 2005 and is estimated to have caused
more than USD 100 billion in losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi