Irish newspaper suspends editor over Kate photos
Michael O`Kane had been suspended and an internal inquiry had been launched.
London: The editor of an Irish daily that carried topless pictures of British royal Kate Middleton has been suspended over the publication of the controversial snaps.
The editor of the Irish Daily Star Michael O`Kane, has been suspended over the publication of the "indecent" photographs of the 30-year-old Duchess of Cambridge.
The Irishpaper`s co-owners, Independent News and Media, confirmed that O`Kane has been suspended, the BBC reported.
The suspension came even as an investigation into the use of the photos was taking place.
The Irish Daily Star published the photographs on Saturday, after they had appeared in French magazine Closer.
On Monday, the Irish Justice Minister Alan Shatter said he would revisit the country`s privacy bill following the Irish Daily Star`s reprinting of the pictures.
Shatter said legislation was needed to ensure a balance between proper investigative journalism and an individual`s right to privacy.
"Some sections of the print media are either unable or unwilling in their reportage to distinguish between `prurient interest` and `the public interest`," he added.
The tabloid`s co-owner, Richard Desmond, said he was "taking immediate steps to close down" the Irish newspaper.
The National Union of Journalists (NUJ) said it was an "over the top reaction".
Earlier, the NUJ said it was "disproportionate" to threaten to cut more than 100 jobs.
Desmond is chairman of the UK-based publisher Northern & Shell, which jointly owns the Irish Daily Star with Irish newspaper group, Independent News and Media (INM).
NUJ Irish secretary, Seamus Dooley, said the closure threat was "a callous and crude attempt by Northern and Shell to protect their UK commercial interests", and he claimed that the company had shown "no regard for the livelihood" of its Irish workers.
Both co-owners of the Irish Daily Star had criticised the decision of its editor, Mike O`Kane, to publish the pictures.
Apart from the Irish paper, an Italian and a French magazine have also published the controversial pictures and the Royals have sued the French magazine.
Prince William and Kate were clicked with a powerful camera lens as the couple holidayed in southern France.
Meanwhile, lawyers acting for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge had sought an injunction from a French court to restrict publication of the pictures.
The court today blocked the future publication of topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge.
The court also ordered that publishers must give the originals to the couple within 24 hours.