Irish "Yes" to EU charter, informal tallies show
Dublin: Irish voters have endorsed the European Union`s Lisbon Treaty in a referendum, informal tallies suggested, raising EU hopes of greater global clout.
Voters seemed to have heeded warnings by political and business leaders that if they delivered a "No" again as they did last year it could spark a foreign investment exodus and isolate Ireland as it battles one of the worst recessions in the West.
Last year`s "No" by Ireland`s three million voters stalled the introduction of the treaty, designed to speed up decision-making in the 27-nation bloc of nearly half a billion people.
The treaty, which would also give the EU a long-term president and a stronger foreign policy chief, needs to be ratified by all 27 member countries in order to take effect.
"There are very encouraging numbers for the `Yes` side," said Billy Timmins, director of elections for the Opposition Fine Gael party, which conducted a preliminary survey showing a 60-40 percent margin for the treaty in Friday`s referendum.
A source in the governing Fianna Fail party said a pick-up in turnout on Friday evening, particularly in middle-class parts of the capital Dublin, had favoured the "Yes" camp.
"On what we have seen at the exit polls, we would see a vote in favour of in or around 53 percent," said the source, who declined to be identified.
Manual counting of votes starts at 0800 GMT on Saturday, with indications of the outcome likely a few hours later.
Central Dublin, where street lamps were plastered with campaign posters for weeks, had a turnout of around 57 percent when voting ended at 2100 GMT.
A turnout above 50 percent is viewed as a plus for pro-European campaigners but officials cautioned it was relatively strong last year and that there was a risk of this vote being used to protest against an unpopular government.
However, there were signs voters had listened to Prime Minister Brian Cowen`s call to set aside their anger towards him over the economy and vote "Yes" to cement Ireland`s position within Europe and help it recover from recession.
"It has to be a `Yes` because of the way the country is at the moment," said Dave McKeever, a 45-year-old roofer, after casting his vote in south Dublin.
Analysts have said a second "No" could cost Ireland valuable goodwill from overseas investors who it relies on to fund a ballooning budget deficit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'