Is North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s wife pregnant?
London: Television footage of the wife of North Korean leader Kim Jung-un suggests that the country could soon be making a happy announcement.
Pictures aired by North Korean state media showed Kim and his wife Ri Sul-joo, apparently
heavily pregnant, paying their respects at a memorial service for Kim Jong-il, his father and predecessor.
The announcement of the birth of an heir in the world’s only communist dynasty would lift the nation’s spirits on the one-year anniversary of the death of Kim, who is still revered in North Korea as the Dear Leader, the Telegraph reports.
According to the report, Ri was pictured wearing traditional mourning clothing, but appeared to be pregnant.
State media has yet to release an official statement on the condition of the nation’s First Lady.
There was speculation in October that Ri might be pregnant after she failed to appear in public for 50 days.
According to the report, formerly the lead singer with the Ponchonbo Electronic Ensemble, Ri was only officially unveiled as Kim``s wife in July, although she had previously been pictured accompanying the ‘Young General’ on his visits to state-run farms, military units and at official ceremonies, the report said.
Later in the month, a South Korean government source was quoted in the Chosun Ilbo newspaper as saying that Ri’s face looked puffy and her stomach was ‘visibly bulging’.
"She is wearing a long coat but cannot hide her protruding abdomen," the unnamed source told the paper, adding that ‘Ri appears to be about three months pregnant’.
If the speculation is correct and the child is a boy, he is likely to be groomed to take over the dynastic regime that was founded by Kim``s grandfather, Kim Il-sung, at the end of the Second World War, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'