Is Saif al-Islam plotting a counter-revolution?
Tripoli: Slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam is said to be hiding in the vast Sahara Desert and could remain hidden there for months.
According to the New York Daily News, various sources indicate he could be plotting a counter-revolution, scheming about a getaway to a friendly country, or negotiating his surrender to the International Criminal Court.
Saif, a 39-year-old British-educated engineer, could be deliberately feeding disinformation from the desert where national boundaries are unmarked, and where smugglers and al Qaeda men roam freely.
Saif and his late father’s former chief of military intelligence, Abdullah al-Senoussi, have reportedly been travelling in separate convoys escorted by Tuaregs, the nomads who very well know how to survive in the desert.
Gaddafi’s son and al-Senoussi are both wanted by the ICC for allegedly organising and ordering attacks in Libya that killed civilians during the uprising to ouster Gaddafi.
Over a dozen African countries do not recognise the international court, but even some that do ignore its arrest warrants amid criticism that the Hague-based court goes after a disproportionate number of Africans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling