IS video shows dozens of Yazidis converting to Islam
Cairo: The Islamic State (IS) Sunni extremist organisation, based in Iraq and Syria, Thursday released a video showing dozens of members of the Yazidi minority religious community converting to Islam.
The 10-minute recording describes the Yazidis, who belong to Iraq`s Kurdish minority, as "true infidels" who practise "rare rituals" to worship the "cursed Satan".
Earlier this month, tens of thousands of Yazidis fled to the mountains after the IS took the town of Sinjar in northern Iraq.
The IS, which has made gains over the past weeks in northern Iraq, had warned Christians and Yazidis they should convert or leave as it seized their most important towns.
"Now you are unfaithful, we will teach you the Shahada (Islamic profession of faith) and you are going to turn into Muslims," the Yazidis were told on the video.
After reciting the "Shahada", the captives performed Islamic prayers as they chanted "Islam is the true religion and justice".
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) called Tuesday on the UN Security Council for urgent action in order to protect the Yazidi sect.
Thursday`s video followed the release of another IS recording Wednesday showing the beheading of US journalist James Foley, who had been a hostage since 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS