IS video shows dozens of Yazidis converting to Islam
Cairo: The Islamic State (IS) Sunni extremist organisation, based in Iraq and Syria, Thursday released a video showing dozens of members of the Yazidi minority religious community converting to Islam.
The 10-minute recording describes the Yazidis, who belong to Iraq`s Kurdish minority, as "true infidels" who practise "rare rituals" to worship the "cursed Satan".
Earlier this month, tens of thousands of Yazidis fled to the mountains after the IS took the town of Sinjar in northern Iraq.
The IS, which has made gains over the past weeks in northern Iraq, had warned Christians and Yazidis they should convert or leave as it seized their most important towns.
"Now you are unfaithful, we will teach you the Shahada (Islamic profession of faith) and you are going to turn into Muslims," the Yazidis were told on the video.
After reciting the "Shahada", the captives performed Islamic prayers as they chanted "Islam is the true religion and justice".
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) called Tuesday on the UN Security Council for urgent action in order to protect the Yazidi sect.
Thursday`s video followed the release of another IS recording Wednesday showing the beheading of US journalist James Foley, who had been a hostage since 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day