ISIL has become most well-funded terrorist group: US Senators
Washington: Asserting that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has become the most well-funded terrorist group in recent memory, two top US Senators have urged the Obama Administration to label the outfit as a 'Transnational Criminal Organisation', a designation given to Hezbollah.
"ISIL has the resources, weaponry, and operational safe havens to continue to threaten the stability of the region and US national security interests," Senators Bob Casey and Marco Rubio said in a letter to Secretary of State, John Kerry yesterday.
"ISIL's criminal activities robbery, extortion, and trafficking have helped the organisation become the best funded terrorist group in history. This wealth has helped expand their operational capacity and incentivized both local and foreign fighters to join them," the letter said.
Noting that the ISIL-controlled oil market in Iraq is now reported to be worth USD 2 million a day, the Senators wrote any strategy to roll back the group's gains must include efforts to cut off their resources.
"Although ISIS is already under both US and international sanctions, we should employ all available tools to curtail these activities and disrupt its financial networks. ISIS's cash flow from this criminal enterprise relies on smuggling routes and black market sales," the Senators wrote.
ISIS, they alleged, has taken a page from Hezbollah's playbook, using smuggling and extortion to finance its operation.
"As you know, we are part of a bipartisan group of members of Congress that has urged the Administration to designate Hezbollah as a Transnational Criminal Organisation (TCO).
"We believe the State and Treasury Departments should also consider designating ISIL as a TCO, which would send a strong signal to our partners in the region that we are prioritising cutting off ISIL's financial support," they said.
The senators said in addition to funds raised by ISIL from its illicit activities, it is also receiving significant financial support from private individuals residing in several US partner countries in the region.
"We urge you to make the halting of these private financial flows a greater priority and to make clear to countries in the region that continued financial support of ISIS could lead to imposition of financial penalties on their citizens and financial institutions by the US Government," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp