Islamic games cancelled over Persian Gulf name
Riyadh: The Islamic Solidarity Games have been cancelled after a dispute between Arab countries and Iran over the name of the waterway dividing them.
The Saudi-based Islamic Solidarity Games Federation says
they cancelled the sporting event, which were meant to be held
in Tehran in the spring, after Iran put "Persian Gulf" on the
The five-year-old games were created to strengthen ties
among the 57-nations of the Organisation of the Islamic
Arab nations call the waterway the Arabian Gulf.
The games were originally scheduled for October 2009 but
postponed in attempt to reach a compromise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP