Islamic games cancelled over Persian Gulf name
Riyadh: The Islamic Solidarity Games have been cancelled after a dispute between Arab countries and Iran over the name of the waterway dividing them.
The Saudi-based Islamic Solidarity Games Federation says
they cancelled the sporting event, which were meant to be held
in Tehran in the spring, after Iran put "Persian Gulf" on the
The five-year-old games were created to strengthen ties
among the 57-nations of the Organisation of the Islamic
Arab nations call the waterway the Arabian Gulf.
The games were originally scheduled for October 2009 but
postponed in attempt to reach a compromise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside