Islamic militants crush tribal uprising in Syria
Beirut: Activists say Islamic militants have crushed a tribal uprising against their rule in eastern Syria following days of clashes.
The armed revolt by the Shueitat tribe in the eastern province of Deir el-Zour was the first sign of local resistance to the Islamic State group since its fighters swept into the province.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and Turkey-based activist Thaer ak-Deiri said Monday that Islamic State group fighters regained control of three villages of the Shueitat tribe.
Fighting between the two sides erupted July 30 and for a time the tribesmen managed to evict the Islamic State group fighters from their villages.
The extremist group has taken over much of northern and eastern Syria as well as western and northern Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'