Islamic rebels fire rockets at military in Mali
Bamako: Jihadist fighters fired two rockets at military points in Mali`s northern city of Gao after the military pushed fighters out of the city a day earlier and as a suicide bomber attacked secular rebels near Algeria`s border, officials said.
Capt. Daouda Diarra said yesterday there was also shooting on the north side of the city.
He said the rockets were likely launched by the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa, or MUJAO.
"The jihadist have fired two rockets on us that we have recovered," Diarra said.
"This is a small group and we will dislodge them and track the rest of the group who have fled 21 kilometers east of Gao on board seven vehicles."
Fighters with the al Qaeda-linked group had attacked a Gao checkpoint on Wednesday and fought with the military around the Town Hall in the city center yesterday. Diarra said 16 jihadists were killed in the fighting and six soldiers were wounded.
Meanwhile, further north in Kidal, a suicide car bombing killed at least one secular Tuareg rebel, the mayor of Kidal said.
Abda Ag Kazina said that a suicide car bomber targeted a base for the secular National Movement for the Liberation of the Azawad, or NMLA, near the country`s border with Algeria.
The Tuaregs and Islamic extremists made rapid advances on Mali`s north in the aftermath of a March 2012 coup, seizing the main cities in the north. Poorly armed and demoralised Malian soldiers fled before their advance.
But the secular fighters fell out with the Islamist extremists. As the extremists have fled the French bombing campaign, it appears the NMLA fighters have moved back into some areas.
The jihadist group MUJAO claimed responsibility for another car explosion yesterday at a mechanics garage in Kidal about 800 meters (875 yards) from a French military base.
French and Chadian forces are patrolling the city of Kidal, though it remains unclear if the northern administrative capital is secure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH