Islamic rebels fire rockets at military in Mali
Bamako: Jihadist fighters fired two rockets at military points in Mali`s northern city of Gao after the military pushed fighters out of the city a day earlier and as a suicide bomber attacked secular rebels near Algeria`s border, officials said.
Capt. Daouda Diarra said yesterday there was also shooting on the north side of the city.
He said the rockets were likely launched by the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa, or MUJAO.
"The jihadist have fired two rockets on us that we have recovered," Diarra said.
"This is a small group and we will dislodge them and track the rest of the group who have fled 21 kilometers east of Gao on board seven vehicles."
Fighters with the al Qaeda-linked group had attacked a Gao checkpoint on Wednesday and fought with the military around the Town Hall in the city center yesterday. Diarra said 16 jihadists were killed in the fighting and six soldiers were wounded.
Meanwhile, further north in Kidal, a suicide car bombing killed at least one secular Tuareg rebel, the mayor of Kidal said.
Abda Ag Kazina said that a suicide car bomber targeted a base for the secular National Movement for the Liberation of the Azawad, or NMLA, near the country`s border with Algeria.
The Tuaregs and Islamic extremists made rapid advances on Mali`s north in the aftermath of a March 2012 coup, seizing the main cities in the north. Poorly armed and demoralised Malian soldiers fled before their advance.
But the secular fighters fell out with the Islamist extremists. As the extremists have fled the French bombing campaign, it appears the NMLA fighters have moved back into some areas.
The jihadist group MUJAO claimed responsibility for another car explosion yesterday at a mechanics garage in Kidal about 800 meters (875 yards) from a French military base.
French and Chadian forces are patrolling the city of Kidal, though it remains unclear if the northern administrative capital is secure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery