Islamic State claims attack on Italian consulate in Egypt's Cairo

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for attack on the Italian consulate in the Egyptian capital Cairo that killed one.

Last Updated: Jul 12, 2015, 10:31 AM IST
Islamic State claims attack on Italian consulate in Egypt's Cairo

Cairo: The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for attack on the Italian consulate in the Egyptian capital Cairo that killed one.

Terror monitoring agency SITE Intel Group tweeted the ISIS claimed credit for the attack. Calling the “security dens” and “legitimate targets”, the ISIS also warned Muslims to stay away from such places, as per the SITE.

The authenticity of the ISIS claim could not be immediately verified but it was distributed by known militant sympathizers.

The attack rocked the consulate on Saturday morning, as a car bomb was detonated at the back gate entrance.

The blast killed a passer-by and wounded eight, one of whom is still in the hospital, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

However, no embassy worker was injured as the consulate was closed at the time.

Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said that Italy would increase security at Italian sites in Cairo and greater Egypt.

“This is not a challenge that the West will win by itself,” he said. “It is a challenge that we will win together with the large majority of the Islamic community and of the Arab governments.”

Previous claims linked to Islamic State attacks in Egypt had been signed as the group’s Sinai Province. It wasn’t immediately clear what, if anything, the new name signified.

Egypt faces threats from multiple insurgent factions, including the Islamic State affiliate in the restive Sinai that the military says killed at least 17 soldiers in a recent assault there.

With Agency Inputs