Islamic State claims deadly Baghdad bomb attacks
Iraq: The Islamic State jihadist group claimed responsibility Sunday for the deadliest spate of bombings to strike the Iraqi capital in weeks, saying a "Baghdad cell" helped carry out the attacks.
Seven different explosions in six mainly Shiite districts of Baghdad killed at least 24 people on Saturday, with IS claiming four of the blasts -- two suicide attacks and two car bombs.
The group, which last month proclaimed a "caliphate" straddling Syria and Iraq, said the two suicide bombers were a German and a Syrian, and said they targeted checkpoints manned by soldiers, police and allied Shiite militiamen.
"Two knights of the knights of Islam and heroes of the caliphate were launched, Abu Qaqa al-Almani and Abu Abdulrahman al-Shami, to destroy checkpoints and dens of the ... government," it said in an unverified statement posted online.
The Sunni extremist group, which controls large parts of north and western Iraq since a June 9 offensive, carries out frequent attacks in Baghdad.
Saturday`s near-simultaneous attacks were carried out "in coordination with a Baghdad cell", the group said.
Two suicide attacks were launched in the Abu Dsheer and Kadhimiyah districts, and two cars stuffed with explosives were triggered in Al-Sayidiyeh and Al-Baya districts, it said.
IS claimed a toll of more than 150 dead and wounded, without giving a breakdown.
Police and medical sources told AFP on Saturday that at least 24 were killed and 75 wounded in the Baghdad explosions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack