Islamic terror group commander held in Iraq
Baghdad: US and Iraqi forces have captured a senior commander of terrorist organisation Ansar al-Islam in Iraq, the US military command in Baghdad said Tuesday.
A statement said the outfit`s second-in-command, Fakri Hadi Gari, was seized in a combined operation carried out in the northern city of Mosul July 24.
Nine other leading members of the group were captured along with Hadi Gari, who was believed responsible for recruitment and finance as well as operational activities, the statement said.
Ansar al-Islam was founded at the end of 2001 in the Kurdish region of northern Iraq while Saddam Hussein was still president.
Ansar al-Islam has an extensive network in Europe, organising funding and support for armed attacks within Iraq.
Spanish authorities blame the European wing of the group for the Madrid train bombings that killed more than 190 people in March 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you