Islamic terror group commander held in Iraq
Baghdad: US and Iraqi forces have captured a senior commander of terrorist organisation Ansar al-Islam in Iraq, the US military command in Baghdad said Tuesday.
A statement said the outfit`s second-in-command, Fakri Hadi Gari, was seized in a combined operation carried out in the northern city of Mosul July 24.
Nine other leading members of the group were captured along with Hadi Gari, who was believed responsible for recruitment and finance as well as operational activities, the statement said.
Ansar al-Islam was founded at the end of 2001 in the Kurdish region of northern Iraq while Saddam Hussein was still president.
Ansar al-Islam has an extensive network in Europe, organising funding and support for armed attacks within Iraq.
Spanish authorities blame the European wing of the group for the Madrid train bombings that killed more than 190 people in March 2004.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists