Islamist Hamas group appoints first spokeswoman
Gaza: The Islamist Hamas group, long shunned by the West and increasingly isolated in the Middle East, has appointed its first spokeswoman, a 23-year-old who used to live in Britain and speaks with a Yorkshire accent.
Isra Al-Modallal`s job is to convey the views of the Hamas government that controls Gaza to the foreign media.
She is not a member of the Islamist group. She wears a traditional headscarf along with a touch of makeup, listens to non-Islamic music and will on occasion shake hands with members of the opposite sex, behaviour usually frowned on by Hamas.
Modallal, who was born in Egypt but has Palestinian nationality and lives in Rafah refugee camp in southern Gaza, took up her post earlier this month.
She said she planned eventually to return to Britain, where she lived for three years in the northern city of Bradford with her brother, a British national.
"It is a period of my life ... then I am going to complete my (law) study ... in Bradford or Scotland or London University," Modallal told Reuters.
Ehab al-Ghsain, chief spokesman for the Hamas government in Gaza, said he hoped Modallal would develop a good working relationship with Western media.
Modallal said however she would not take calls from Israeli journalists.
Hamas, which has controlled the Gaza Strip since a brief Palestinian civil war in 2007, has spurned Western demands to recognise Israel and renounce violence.
It is considered a terrorist group by the United States and the European Union.
The Sunni Islamist group has also angered its main regional supporter, Shi`ite Iran, by its criticism of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in his country`s civil war.
Hamas`s relations with Egypt, Gaza`s neighbour, have also worsened since the Egyptian military ousted Islamist President Mohamed Mursi following protests against his rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue