Islamist rule in Egypt fails: Bashar al-Assad
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said that massive protests against his Islamist Egyptian counterpart has spelt the end of "political Islam," in statements posted on Wednesday on his official Facebook page.
"What is happening in Egypt is the fall of what is known as political Islam," Assad said in an interview with Syrian state newspaper Ath-Thawra, excerpts of which were posted on the Internet.
"Anywhere in the world, whoever uses religion for political aims, or to benefit some and not others, will fall," Assad said.
Earlier today, Information Minister Omran al-Zohbi said Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi`s departure is key to solving that country`s crisis.
There is long-standing animosity between the Damascus regime and the Muslim Brotherhood, and membership in the group has been punishable by death in Syria since the 1980s.
The Syrian branch of the Brotherhood today plays a key role in the exiled opposition National Coalition, which is recognised by more than 100 states and organisations as legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Egypt is Sunni Muslim, as are the vast majority of rebels fighting to overthrow Assad whose Alawite sect is an offshoot of Shiite Islam.
Morsi last month announced severing ties with the Damascus regime and has repeatedly called on Assad to step down.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview