Islamists mount `heaviest` assault on Libya airport
Tripoli: Islamist militia launched their heaviest assault so far on Libya`s main airport Sunday two days after a truce with the rival ex-rebels that control it collapsed, a security official said.
"The airport was attacked this morning with mortar rounds, rockets and tank fire," airport security official Al-Jilani Al-Dahesh told AFP.
"It was the most intense bombardment so far."
Islamist militia first attacked the airport last Sunday, forcing a halt to all flights.
Their continued offensive has caused extensive damage to planes and airport infrastructure that aviation officials say will keep it closed for months.
Pictures posted on social media showed a Libyan Airlines plane on fire as plumes of smoke billowed over the airport.
Dahesh said the militia who control the airport, based in the hill town of Zintan southwest of the capital and derided by their opponents as the armed wing of liberals within the government, had responded with heavy fire.
He had no immediate word on any casualties.
Residents of the Qasr Bin Gheshir district close to the airport spoke of heavy exchanges with both sides deploying tanks.
The Islamists have been reinforced by other militia from Libya`s third city Misrata, one of the key battlefields of the NATO-backed uprising of 2011 that toppled and killed veteran dictator Moamer Kadhafi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know