Island row: ‘US sides with China`s opponents’
Beijing: The US directly or indirectly sides with China`s opponents in disputes China has with its neighbours, said a state-run Chinese daily Wednesday.
An article in the Op-Ed section of Global Times said that Washington`s "attitude still remains vague" on the dispute between China and Japan over Diaoyu islands.
"But it is obvious that Washington is not so impartial between China and Japan.
"In other disputes China has with its neighbours, the US directly or indirectly sides with China`s opponents. The question is how much weight the US will put behind Japan," it said.
The daily said that until now Washington has been reluctant in openly supporting Japan`s claim.
"Moreover, the US has to take into consideration the Sino-US relationship. It doesn`t want to face a strategic dilemma whether to intervene if a war breaks out between China and Japan," it said.
Admitting that it was "impossible for China to persuade Washington to take a neutral position", Global Times noted: "The hope of such is purely an illusion, though China can urge the US to move toward a neutral position through concrete actions that show doing so is more in line with US interests."
"As long as Japan escalates the situation, China will take ready actions. If the US does not restrain Japan but incites it to provoke China, then we will all bear the military risks," the article added.
Japan claimed the US has agreed that the Diaoyu islands fall within the purview of the US-Japan Security Treaty. "China should show its stance to the US that China rejects any military presence in Diaoyu, and it will take military actions against such moves."
It went on to say that "sacrifices will be necessary in safeguarding Diaoyu".
"Chinese should be prepared for it. These sacrifices will not only improve the situation we are in over the Diaoyu dispute, but also lay a solid foundation for China`s global status in the future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!