Israel accuses Indian peacekeepers of helping Hezbollah
Jerusalem: Israel has accused the Indian
troops part of the UN peacekeepers along its border with
Lebanon of doing nothing to prevent the infiltration of
Hezbollah supporters into its territory, but on the contrary
cooperated with them, a media report said.
In a letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon and
the president of the UN Security Council Ruhakana Rugunda,
Israel accused an Indian contingent of United Nations Interim
Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) of having done nothing to prevent
the demonstrators from crossing the border and even
cooperating with the group, `The Jerusalem Post` reported.
"(The demonstrators) stood opposite the UNIFIL force,
(which did nothing), and worse than that, according to
statements made by the organisers of the demonstration, they
even cooperated with them," Israeli Ambassador to the world
body Gabriela Shalev wrote in the letter.
Fifteen Lebanese civilians had crossed into Israel
last Friday waving Hezbollah flags. The Israeli troops spotted
the group, but did not confront them as they returned to south
Lebanon minutes later.
This is not the first time when Tel Aviv has accused
Indian troops stationed in south Lebanon of having helped
Indian troops were blamed by Tel Aviv for not only
quietly watching the abduction of three Israeli soldiers by
Hezbollah in October 2000 but even assisting them after having
Shalev also lashed out at Hezbollah for its "grievous
violations of Resolution 1701," which included both the border
breach, as well as an attack by Lebanese villagers against
UNIFIL troops on Saturday who were investigating an explosion
in a suspected arms depot allegedly belonging to the group.
Both incidents "demonstrate an escalation and a
pattern of behaviour in Lebanon, that must be confronted,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics