Israel admits 1988 killing of Arafat`s deputy
Jerusalem: Israel for the first time on Thursday admitted responsibility for the assassination of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat`s deputy, Abu Jihad, in a cross border raid on PLO`s headquarters in Tunis in 1988, lifting the lid on a closely kept secret for two and a half decades.
Israel`s largest selling daily in Hebrew, Yediot Ahronoth, today reported that the operation was led by Israel`s espionage agency Mossad and carried out by the elite Sayeret Matkal commando unit.
Abu Jihad, nom de guerre for Khalil al-Wazir, was shot dead in the early hours of April 16, 1988 in a commando raid on the Palestinian Liberation Organisation`s headquarters by what was always presumed to be Israeli agents.
"Israel killed the number two man in the PLO, Abu Jihad, in Tunis in 1988, it can now be reported. The intelligence part of the assassination was overseen by the Mossad, and the operational side was carried out by Sayeret Matkal," the paper said said after receiving clearance from Israeli censor.
The operation was commanded by Nahum Lev, who in an interview before his death in 2000, admitted to have shot down the Palestinian leader but it was not published.
v"I had read every page of the file on him," Lev had said adding, "Abu Jihad was connected to horrific acts against civilians. He was marked for death. I shot him with no hesitation."
A long-time friend and deputy to the veteran leader Arafat who headed the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), Abu Jihad is said to have played a leading role in directing the 1987-1994 intifada uprising against the Israeli occupation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price