Israel agrees to some Egyptian troops in Sinai
Jerusalem: Israeli officials say they have
agreed to allow Egypt to move several hundred troops into the
Sinai Peninsula for the first time since the countries reached
peace three decades ago.
Under the 1979 peace treaty, Israel returned the
captured Sinai to Egypt. In return, Egypt agreed to leave the
With street protests threatening the Egyptian regime,
the officials say that Israel agreed to allow the Egyptian
army to move two battalions, about 800 soldiers, into Sinai.
The officials say the troops moved into the Sharm el-Sheikh
area on Sinai`s southern tip, far from Israel, yesterday.
The officials spoke today on condition of anonymity
because Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has banned the
government from discussing the situation in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?