Israel airport safe, says minister
Jerusalem: Israel`s Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz said that the country`s airport is safe for landings and take-offs, despite the fact that a rocket fired from Gaza had landed near the airport.
The minister`s remarks came after major US, European and Canadian airlines cancelled their flights to and from Ben Gurion International Airport located in the outskirts of Tel Aviv, in response to the rocket strike near the airport Tuesday morning, Xinhua reported.
Katz called on US based airlines to return to normal operations.
"There is no reason for the American companies to stop their flight and give a prize to terror," Katz said.
Earlier, the US Federal Aviation Administration asked airlines to suspend all flights for at least 24 hours to and from Ben Gurion International Airport "due to the potentially hazardous situation created by the armed conflict in Israel and Gaza".
The issue was also addressed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during his talks with US State Secretary John Kerry Tuesday.
Netanyahu has asked Kerry to act to restore air travel.
Israel`s flag air carrier El Al Airlines said that its "flights will continue as scheduled".
El Al has been known for continuing its flights even in war time.
During the 1991 Gulf War, El Al was the only airline that did not suspend its operations in Israel.
On Tuesday, Hamas targeted the Ben Gurion International Airport for the second time, but making the first successful attempt.
Hamas militants had previously said that they fired long-ranged M75 rockets at the airport, but they were intercepted by Israel`s Iron Dome anti-missile defence system.
Ben Gurion International Airport is Israel`s main gateway to the rest of the world.
During the first six months of 2014, the Central Bureau of Statistics reported a record of 1.5 million visitors to Israel, though that figure is likely to fall for the rest of the year due to security concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department