Israel allows humanitarian aid into Gaza
Tel Aviv: Israel has permitted resumption of supply of goods and humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip through the sole cargo terminal at the joint border closed since the Israeli military launched an offensive against Palestinian militants, army officials said Sunday.
About 70 of 120 trucks loaded with medicines, food supplies, household gas and basic necessities have already passed through the Kerem Shalom border crossing into Gaza.
"This is a complex and dangerous operation because the entire border crossing area is subjected to rocket and mortar fire.
"We are carrying out this operation in coordination with the Palestinian [national] administration and various international institutions," Israeli Defence Ministry spokesman Guy Inbar said.
The trucks passed through the crossing for the first time since Wednesday when Israel launched Operation Pillar of Defence, killing Hamas military chief Ahmed al-Jabari and attacking hundreds of rocket-launching sites, ammunition depots and "terrorist" cells.
Palestinian militants have fired hundreds of rockets at Israeli cities, including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’