Israel approves 900 E Jerusalem settlement homes
Jerusalem: Israel`s interior ministry has
given final approval for the construction of 900 new homes in
the east Jerusalem settlement neighbourhood of Har Homa, a
ministry spokeswoman said on Thursday.
"This is a programme which was approved by the regional
(planning and construction) committee two years ago,"
spokeswoman Efrat Orbach said.
"According to the planning process in Israel, (it) needed
the completion of amendments, therefore it was finally
The approval marks the final planning stage for a project
that has garnered fierce criticism from the Palestinians and
the international community.
It will significantly expand the hilltop neighbourhood,
which lies in Jerusalem`s southwest and is defined as being
within the municipal boundaries despite lying directly next to
the Palestinian West Bank town of Bethlehem.
Hagit Ofran, who monitors settlement activity for the
Israeli group Peace Now, described the final approval of the
project as "a very dramatic development" because of where the
new housing will be located.
"It adds a new ridge to Har Homa which blocks the
territorial contiguity between east Jerusalem and Bethlehem
and adds a further barrier to the possibility of east
Jerusalem as the Palestinian capital in a two-state solution,"
Israeli Interior Minister Eli Yishai, quoted on the
Israeli news site Ynet, linked the new project to ongoing
protests in Israel over the cost of housing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy