Israel army twitter account hacked, posts nuke leak warning
Jerusalem: A twitter handle of the Israeli army was taken over by Internet hackers, who posted a message warning that a nuclear facility in Israel have been hit by two rockets, causing a brief torrent of panic.
Israel`s most popular news portal Ynet posted a screenshot of the alarming tweet: "#WARNING: Possible nuclear leak in the region after 2 rockets hit Dimona nuclear facility" in the south of the country."
Israel Defence Forces (IDF) Spokesman`s Office later deleted the misleading tweet. The account posted an apology to its followers.
"We apologise for the incorrect tweets," the IDF Spokesman`s Office wrote.
"Our twitter account was compromised. We will combat terror on all fronts including the cyber dimension," the statement said.
The Syrian Electronic Army claimed responsibility for the hacking, posting a screenshot on its Twitter page to prove it.
The group has been known for taking over Twitter accounts in the past. Last year, it claimed responsibility for getting into the accounts of several media organisations.
The online attack comes as the Israeli forces are battling a surge in firefighting and increased mortar assaults by Hamas militants following the death of a 16-year-old Arab boy in a suspected revenge attack by rightwing extremists to avenge the killings of three Israeli teen in West Bank last month.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had condemned the murder of the youth as "despicable" and said he had ordered police to work "as quickly as possible to find out who was behind the heinous murder of the youth".
Israel has scrambled its troops near the border with Gaza Strip after heavy exchange of gunfire and mortar launches with Hamas militants.
Israeli warplanes continue to pounded targets inside Gaza yesterday and militants fired rockets into Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire