`Israel arrests Palestinian Parliament speaker`
Ramallah: Hamas officials say the speaker of the Palestinian Parliament has been arrested by Israeli soldiers.
A Hamas official said Abdel Aziz Duaik was arrested on Thursday near Ramallah. He was speaking on condition of anonymity citing security reasons.
The Israeli military had no comment.
The Palestinian Parliament has not functioned since Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007 from the rival Palestinian Fatah Party.
Since then the Western backed Fatah governs the West Bank while Hamas rules Gaza.
Israel, the US, EU and others list Hamas as a terror group due to its suicide bombings and other attacks aimed at Israeli civilians that killed hundreds.
Duaik was arrested along with other Hamas officials in 2006 after militants abducted an Israeli soldier. He was released in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'