`Israel arrests Palestinian Parliament speaker`
Ramallah: Hamas officials say the speaker of the Palestinian Parliament has been arrested by Israeli soldiers.
A Hamas official said Abdel Aziz Duaik was arrested on Thursday near Ramallah. He was speaking on condition of anonymity citing security reasons.
The Israeli military had no comment.
The Palestinian Parliament has not functioned since Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007 from the rival Palestinian Fatah Party.
Since then the Western backed Fatah governs the West Bank while Hamas rules Gaza.
Israel, the US, EU and others list Hamas as a terror group due to its suicide bombings and other attacks aimed at Israeli civilians that killed hundreds.
Duaik was arrested along with other Hamas officials in 2006 after militants abducted an Israeli soldier. He was released in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends