Israel: Barak`s wife charged over illegal worker
Jerusalem: Israeli immigration authorities on Sunday filed charges against the wife of Israel`s defence minister for allegedly illegally employing a Filipina house cleaner, local media reported.
Haaretz newspaper`s website said that Nili Priel, wife of Defence Minister Ehud Barak, was charged with illegally hiring the woman, identified only as Virginia, to clean the couple`s luxury Tel Aviv apartment, without an employment visa, medical insurance or contract.
It said that if convicted, she could be fined 100,000 shekels (EUR 20,000, USD 28,000) on each charge or face imprisonment.
No trial date was set.
Barak has said he was unaware the woman was employed in his home and he will not face legal action.
It is illegal in Israel to employ foreign workers as domestic help, and the government has launched a campaign to crack down on the practice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video