Israel: Barak`s wife charged over illegal worker
Jerusalem: Israeli immigration authorities on Sunday filed charges against the wife of Israel`s defence minister for allegedly illegally employing a Filipina house cleaner, local media reported.
Haaretz newspaper`s website said that Nili Priel, wife of Defence Minister Ehud Barak, was charged with illegally hiring the woman, identified only as Virginia, to clean the couple`s luxury Tel Aviv apartment, without an employment visa, medical insurance or contract.
It said that if convicted, she could be fined 100,000 shekels (EUR 20,000, USD 28,000) on each charge or face imprisonment.
No trial date was set.
Barak has said he was unaware the woman was employed in his home and he will not face legal action.
It is illegal in Israel to employ foreign workers as domestic help, and the government has launched a campaign to crack down on the practice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack