Israel barrier has `devastating` impact on locals: UN
United Nations: The controversial Israeli security barrier that snakes through the West Bank has a "devastating" impact on the daily lives of Palestinians, a senior UN official just back from the region has said.
"I witnessed first hand the impact of the barrier on Palestinian communities. I was deeply disturbed by what I saw," under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator Valerie Amos said yesterday.
The barrier -- a network of walls, fences and closed military roads -- meanders through the West Bank, territory occupied by Israel in 1967 on which the Palestinians hope to build a state.
Israel says the barrier is designed to prevent attacks, but the Palestinians view it as an "apartheid wall" that carves off key parts of their future state.
The barrier "cuts off communities from basic services, denies people access from their homes =
When the 709-kilometres long barrier is complete, 85 per cent of it will have been built inside the West Bank.
"I recognise Israel`s concern about security," Amos said, "but the impact of the barrier is devastating. It`s clear that civilians are bearing the brunt of the continuing conflict and occupation."
Amos also "reiterated the importance of lifting the blockade of Gaza to facilitate economic development," while emphasising that Israelis "have the right to live without fear of attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj