Israel cabinet approves new Shin Bet spy chief
Jerusalem: The Israeli government on Sunday
formally approved the appointment of Yoram Cohen as the new
head of the Shin Bet internal security service, Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu`s office said.
The cabinet voted unanimously to confirm Cohen, an
Arabist with 30 years of experience at Shin Bet, a statement
"Yoram Cohen will be able to lead the Shin Bet in
Israel`s war against terror; in the intelligence and
technological war," it quoted Netanyahu as telling ministers.
Cohen, 51, will replace Yuval Diskin, whose six-year
term ends on May 15.
The new chief joined Shin Bet as a field agent in
1982, and worked largely in the occupied West Bank. He also
spent a year in Lebanon.
He ran the agency`s counter-terror unit in the West
Bank, and spent four years as head of anti-terror operations
in the Arab world and Iran. He also ran the Shin Bet`s
From 2005 to 2008, he was deputy director of the
agency, until going to the United States to carry out research
on Islamist movements, particularly the militant group Hamas,
which controls the Gaza Strip.
He is considered one of those who shaped Israel`s
policy of "targeted killings" during the second Palestinian
uprising, which broke out in 2000.
Cohen is the first religiously observant Jew to be
appointed to the top job at Shin Bet, and some have asked
whether this would affect his ability to deal even-handedly
with extremist settlers, most of whom are very religious.
Shin Bet officials quoted recently by Yediot Aharonot
newspaper said that "would not detract from his professional
activity against Jewish terror," although it was likely to
mean he comes in for sharp criticism from the settler lobby
and its backers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly