‘Israel cuts contact with UN rights council’
Jerusalem: The Israeli foreign ministry
decided on Monday to cut contact with the United Nations Human
Rights Council after it said last week it would investigate
Israeli settlements, a spokesman said.
"There was a decision by the foreign ministry to sever
work contacts with the organisation," ministry spokesman Yigal
Palmor said, adding that Israel had yet to formally inform
the council of its decision.
"There won`t be working relations with them,
conversations, passing papers, making visits, exchanging
information, consulting one another, attending meetings," he
added. "That`s work, and it will not take place."
Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Sunday called
publicly for a boycott of the council, which last Thursday
passed a resolution ordering the first investigation into how
Israeli settlements may be infringing on the rights of the
"This hypocritical organization has nothing to do with
human rights. Its bias and lack of objectivity are obvious and
we have no reason to cooperate with it," he told Israeli
The resolution was adopted by the 47-member council by 36
votes in favour and 10 abstentions. Only the United States
voted against it.
The decision was condemned by Israel, with Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu slamming the council as "hypocritical" and
saying the body "should be ashamed of itself."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble