‘Israel cuts contact with UN rights council’
Jerusalem: The Israeli foreign ministry
decided on Monday to cut contact with the United Nations Human
Rights Council after it said last week it would investigate
Israeli settlements, a spokesman said.
"There was a decision by the foreign ministry to sever
work contacts with the organisation," ministry spokesman Yigal
Palmor said, adding that Israel had yet to formally inform
the council of its decision.
"There won`t be working relations with them,
conversations, passing papers, making visits, exchanging
information, consulting one another, attending meetings," he
added. "That`s work, and it will not take place."
Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Sunday called
publicly for a boycott of the council, which last Thursday
passed a resolution ordering the first investigation into how
Israeli settlements may be infringing on the rights of the
"This hypocritical organization has nothing to do with
human rights. Its bias and lack of objectivity are obvious and
we have no reason to cooperate with it," he told Israeli
The resolution was adopted by the 47-member council by 36
votes in favour and 10 abstentions. Only the United States
voted against it.
The decision was condemned by Israel, with Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu slamming the council as "hypocritical" and
saying the body "should be ashamed of itself."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations