Israel deploys system as shield from Gaza rockets
Jerusalem: Israel is for the first time deploying its newly developed "Iron Dome" rocket defence system to protect southern Israeli communities from Palestinian attacks from Gaza.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak says he gave the order on Friday after a week in which Gaza militants fired dozens of mortar shells and rockets at Israel, which retaliated with airstrikes.
Barak says he approved the deployment of the system as an "an operational experiment”.
The Israeli military says it will be operational in a few days.
The system is a main component of Israel`s defence against the homemade and imported rockets fired by Palestinian militants in Gaza, as well as the longer range rockets in the hands of Hezbollah guerrillas on Israel`s border with Lebanon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday