Israel expels US journalist: Palestinian media
Jerusalem: Israel on Wednesday expelled a US
journalist working for a Palestinian news agency, Maan, the
Maan said its English-language editor Jared Malsin, who
had been held at Tel Aviv`s Ben Gurion airport for the past
week, called to say he was being placed on a flight to New
"He sounded shaken and confused," said George Hale, a
journalist with Maan.
Malsin had appealed the expulsion order but apparently
dropped the challenge yesterday without the knowledge of his
lawyer, Maan said in a statement.
"Maan is deeply concerned that there was no lawyer
present when Malsin apparently filed this independent motion,"
the private news agency said.
"Without jumping to conclusions, Maan wants to be sure
these events did not take place under duress," it said, adding
that Malsin`s lawyer and relatives had been unable to reach
him in the 24 hours before the deportation.
Malsin was detained on January 12 upon returning from
vacation in Prague and told he would be deported on security
grounds, Hale said.
The interior ministry did not immediately respond to a
request for comment on the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players