Israel fears for existence if war with Iran breaks
Jerusalem: More than half of Israelis fear that war with Iran would endanger the Jewish State’s very existence, a new poll has found.
It is a startling finding that will worry Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has argued that a pre-emptive strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities is necessary to prevent it from obtaining the atom bomb.
The Tel Aviv University Poll found that a majority of Israelis thought the likelihood of a conflict with Iran “high” or “medium,” while half either feared or “greatly” feared for Israel`s existence.
According to the Independent, it also suggests that few were convinced by Defence Minister Ehud Barak``s surprising assertion last November that Israel would suffer fewer than 500 casualties were Iran to retaliate to an Israeli attack.
But even as Israelis appear to accept the inevitability of a showdown with Iran, the poll suggested that it would not affect Netanyahu`s ability to form a coalition government if elections were held today, the report added.
Netanyahu has stepped up his rhetoric in Iran in recent weeks, and tried unsuccessfully to push Washington to set “red lines” over Iran, a demand dismissed by President Barack Obama in a recent interview as “noise,” the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!