Israel fears for existence if war with Iran breaks
Jerusalem: More than half of Israelis fear that war with Iran would endanger the Jewish State’s very existence, a new poll has found.
It is a startling finding that will worry Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has argued that a pre-emptive strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities is necessary to prevent it from obtaining the atom bomb.
The Tel Aviv University Poll found that a majority of Israelis thought the likelihood of a conflict with Iran “high” or “medium,” while half either feared or “greatly” feared for Israel`s existence.
According to the Independent, it also suggests that few were convinced by Defence Minister Ehud Barak``s surprising assertion last November that Israel would suffer fewer than 500 casualties were Iran to retaliate to an Israeli attack.
But even as Israelis appear to accept the inevitability of a showdown with Iran, the poll suggested that it would not affect Netanyahu`s ability to form a coalition government if elections were held today, the report added.
Netanyahu has stepped up his rhetoric in Iran in recent weeks, and tried unsuccessfully to push Washington to set “red lines” over Iran, a demand dismissed by President Barack Obama in a recent interview as “noise,” the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family