Israel flays US on `weak` reaction to Fatah, Hamas unity deal
Jerusalem: Israel has criticised America`s "weak" reaction to the unity deal reached between rival Palestinian factions, Fatah and Hamas and demanded a clearer and more resolute response, a media report here said.
"Jerusalem has made it clear to the Americans that it is disappointed with their response and has asked that they take a sharper, clearer tack, as they did when Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas threatened to disband the PA," a senior Israeli official involved in the dialogue with Washington told Israeli daily Ha`aretz.
Hamas and Fatah yesterday announced that they have reached an agreement to end their differences and form a Palestinian unity government.
The historic reconciliation deal inked by rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah includes working towards a two-state solution that recognises Israel`s existence.
Meanwhile, the Israeli security cabinet that decided to suspend peace talks with the Palestinians after marathon talks also reportedly dealt with the international response to the unity agreement.
The quoted senior official reportedly said that the ministers were in full agreement that the American response was "insufficient, weak, merely for show and didn`t include enough exclamation marks."
US State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki had called the Palestinian unity deal "troubling" and said the US was "disappointed" by it. She had also said that Washington would ask the Palestinians to provide clarifications.
Contrary to this mild stance, the State department had issued a public warning to Abbas when he threatened to disband the PA saying that such a move would have serious implications for US relations with the Palestinians.
"We expect that the American statement be much more decisive and determined," the senior Israeli official was quoted by Ha`aretz as saying.
"The Americans need to make it clear to Abbas that this is a red line. He just can`t associate with Hamas. We don`t accept that the Americans are talking about the policy of the unity government once it is formed, and are ignoring the fact that this is an alliance with Hamas.
The Americans need to tell Abbas that he allied himself with a terrorist group and that they cannot accept this," he emphasised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow