Israel FM confirms interim Palestinian state plan
Jerusalem: Israel`s foreign minister
confirmed on Monday that he has drawn up a plan for the creation
of an interim Palestinian state with temporary borders in the
absence of a full peace agreement.
Avigdor Lieberman argued that an interim arrangement was
the only option, saying the Palestinians have turned down
previous Israeli offers and no agreement is possible at
"There is no other way. We must go back to an interim
agreement," he told Israel Radio, adding, "The plan is ready."
He offered no details and did not say when and if the
plan would be made public.
A government official said yesterday that the plan would
turn over up to 50 per cent of the West Bank to the
Palestinians. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the
plan has not been finalised.
The Palestinians want the entire West Bank, east
Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip, as part of their independent
state. They reject the idea of interim borders, fearing they
would become permanent.
The outspoken Lieberman often acts independently of
Israel`s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who has been
trying to draw the Palestinians back to direct talks on a
final status deal.
After a long period of deadlock, talks resumed in
September, 2010, only to collapse three weeks later when an
Israeli settlement freeze expired.
The Haaretz daily reported yesterday that Lieberman has
presented his map to Netanyahu, but the prime minister`s
office would not confirm the report, and Netanyahu spokesman
Mark Regev said the Israeli leader remains committed to a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam