Israel focusing only on security: Palestinian official
Ramallah: Israel insists on only discussing security issues during the peace talk sessions with the Palestinian side, a Palestinian official said Wednesday.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Israel refused to discuss any other issues rather than those related to security, Xinhua reported.
On Tuesday, negotiators from both sides met in Jerusalem and Israel presented 17 notes reflecting its vision for security arrangements. The official told Xinhua that Israel proposed to install radars in some areas of the West Bank.
A controversial debate emerged during the talks over the Palestinian rejection of having any Israeli security presence on the future Palestinian state`s eastern borders with Jordan, according to the official.
In July, the United States convinced the Palestinians to return to the negotiating table.
The Palestinians did not get an Israeli pledge to stop settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. However, Israel freed some long-jailed Palestinian prisoners.
Yasser Abed Rabbo, a member of the PLO`s executive committee, said that there were no signs that the negotiations had made any progress so far.
"All scenes of occupation and settlements must be removed in the Palestinian territories," Abed Rabbo told Voice of Palestine radio.
"Otherwise, the political process would collapse and fail."
He ruled out any progress "as long as the US administration doesn`t press for achieving a peace deal".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi