Israel foreign minister, Mossad in row over powers
Jerusalem: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called in Israel`s top diplomat and the Mossad spymaster Sunday to try to end a feud that has harmed ties between their agencies, Israel Radio said.
It said Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman last week suspended their cooperation, arguing that the overseas intelligence service had "interfered in, and circumvented, his realm of responsibility."
A government spokesman had no immediate comment on the reported meeting of Netanyahu, Lieberman and Mossad director Tamir Pardo.
But one official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the power struggle concerned a diplomatic back-channel that the Mossad had helped set up for the Netanyahu government abroad.
Lieberman, a tough-talking far-rightist within Netanyahu`s conservative coalition, has often been sidelined by the prime minister in contacts with key foreign allies.
A veteran Mossad officer, David Meidan, led last month`s Egyptian-mediated prisoner exchange with Palestinian Hamas, at a time when Israel`s embassy in Cairo was empty following a mob rampage there in September.
The swap also involved Turkey, which took in some of the hundreds of freed Palestinian prisoners, and which had previously shunned the Netanyahu government in anger at Israel`s killing of nine Turks aboard an activist ship that tried to breach the Gaza blockade in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly