Israel frees 26 Palestinian prisoners
Ofer Prison (Israel): Israel freed 26 veteran Palestinian prisoners on Wednesday, alongside US-brokered peace talks, a news agency correspondents said.
A group of 21 prisoners from the West Bank left Ofer prison, near Jerusalem, shortly after 1:00 am (0430 IST) and the other five crossed moments later into the Gaza strip, correspondents at both sites said.
The West Bankers left Ofer in two minibuses with blacked-out windows and drove the short distance to the Beitunia crossing into the West Bank where they were greeted with cheers and fireworks.
They then set out for nearby Ramallah were they were to be welcomed at an official ceremony headed by Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas.
The Gazans were met by hundreds of relatives and well-wishers as they entered the strip through the Erez crossing from Israel.
All 26 were convicted for killing Israelis, with most of the attacks occurring before the 1993 Oslo Accords, which granted the Palestinians limited self-rule but failed to usher in an independent state.
Netanyahu agreed to release 104 prisoners in stages as part of the resumption of talks in late July, after a three-year hiatus. A first tranche of 26 was freed on August 13.
The talks are held under a US-imposed media blackout but a senior Palestinian official said yesterday that Israel had adopted hardline positions and negotiations had so far produced "no tangible progress".
"The current Israeli negotiating position is the worst in more than 20 years," Yasser Abed Rabbo, a top official with the Palestine Liberation Organisation, said in a statement.
"They want security first, and that the borders of the state of Palestine should be set out according to Israeli security needs that never end, and that will undermine the possibility of establishing a sovereign Palestinian state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi to visit five nations from June 4; to take up black money issue with Swiss President
- Sharks possess distinct personalities like humans
- 'Sultan' new poster: See robust Salman Khan turns 'Golden Sultan' magnifying the aura!
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside