Israel freezes UNESCO funding
Jerusalem: Israel would stop its $2 million in annual funding to the Unesco in the wake of a vote that admitted Palestine as a full member, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Thursday.
In a vote Oct 31 at the 193-member UN agency`s general conference in Paris, the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) got 107 votes for its membership bid, with 14 countries against. A total of 52 countries abstained.
"Such moves do not advance peace, but rather push it further away. The only path to achieving peace is via direct negotiations without preconditions," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying in a statement.
The prime minister directed relevant authorities to redirect the funding "towards other initiatives cooperating to achieve the same goals in the area".
The US has also halted its $60 million financial contribution to the UN agency.
The White House termed the formal admission of Palestine to the Unesco "premature", claiming that the move will undermine the Middle East peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read