Israel fuels instability: Jordan`s king
Amman: Jordan`s King Abdullah II has warned
that Israel`s stance in peace talks with the Palestinian is
fuelling instability in the Middle East, in remarks published
today in The Wall Street Journal.
"If we can`t get the Israelis and Palestinians together in
this next couple of days, then what signal is that for the
future process?" King Abdullah asked in a WSJ interview in New
York ahead of the UN General Assembly.
The Jordanian ruler said that while he had been encouraged
at times by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s
"positive statements," the reality on the ground was
"I think my best way to describe my view toward Israel is
my increasing frustration because they`re sticking their head
in the sand and pretending that there`s not a problem," said
the monarch, whose country signed a peace treaty with Israel
His comments came as Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas
vowed to seek a vote on UN membership for a Palestinian state
this Friday, setting up a collision with the United States and
Washington has already said it will use its veto if the UN
Security Council votes on the issue, while Netanyahu yesterday
urged Abbas to hold direct talks in New York ahead of the
In the interview, King Abdullah also said the regime of
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was contributing to the
instability in the region.
"I have talked to him (Assad) twice in the first part of
the year to discuss about the challenges we are facing and how
we could be supportive in lessons learnt, but at that point
the Syrians were not really interested in what we had to say,"
he told the WSJ.
According to UN estimates, at least 2,600 people, mostly
civilians, have been killed in the Syrian regime`s crackdown
on pro-democracy protests since mid-March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared