Israel fuels instability: Jordan`s king
Amman: Jordan`s King Abdullah II has warned
that Israel`s stance in peace talks with the Palestinian is
fuelling instability in the Middle East, in remarks published
today in The Wall Street Journal.
"If we can`t get the Israelis and Palestinians together in
this next couple of days, then what signal is that for the
future process?" King Abdullah asked in a WSJ interview in New
York ahead of the UN General Assembly.
The Jordanian ruler said that while he had been encouraged
at times by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s
"positive statements," the reality on the ground was
"I think my best way to describe my view toward Israel is
my increasing frustration because they`re sticking their head
in the sand and pretending that there`s not a problem," said
the monarch, whose country signed a peace treaty with Israel
His comments came as Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas
vowed to seek a vote on UN membership for a Palestinian state
this Friday, setting up a collision with the United States and
Washington has already said it will use its veto if the UN
Security Council votes on the issue, while Netanyahu yesterday
urged Abbas to hold direct talks in New York ahead of the
In the interview, King Abdullah also said the regime of
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was contributing to the
instability in the region.
"I have talked to him (Assad) twice in the first part of
the year to discuss about the challenges we are facing and how
we could be supportive in lessons learnt, but at that point
the Syrians were not really interested in what we had to say,"
he told the WSJ.
According to UN estimates, at least 2,600 people, mostly
civilians, have been killed in the Syrian regime`s crackdown
on pro-democracy protests since mid-March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state