Israel group blasts arrests of Palestinian minors
Jerusalem: An Israeli human rights group is accusing the police of arresting Palestinian minors as young as five in east Jerusalem and dealing with them in ways that violate the law.
In a report released on Monday, B`Tselem says Israeli police arrested at least 81 Palestinian minors between November 2009 and October 2010 on suspicion of throwing stones at Israelis in the flashpoint Silwan neighbourhood near Jerusalem`s Old City.
The report says some were taken from their homes at night and interrogated, sometimes without a parent present.
Police say the arrests were legal and aimed at stamping out the stone throwing, which often targets police, Jewish settlers and their security guards.
Israel annexed east Jerusalem in 1967. Palestinians hope to make it the capital of their future state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof