Israel halts controversial relocation plan for Arab Bedouins
Jerusalem: Israel Thursday halted a controversial legislation to transfer 40,000 Arab Bedouins citizens from their villages, amidst mounting opposition by activists and senior members of the coalition.
The so-called Prawer Bill is aimed at displacing about half of the Negev`s indigenous Bedouin population from about 40 villages, and resettling them in government-built impoverished towns.
The government said the plan is needed to "modernise" the Bedouins and for settling numerous land disputes, Xinhua reported.
The architect of plan, former minister Benny Begin, said Thursday in a press conference that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has accepted his recommendation to halt the drafting of the bill in the Knesset (parliament).
A spokesperson for the Prime Minister Office did not say whether the plan was cancelled or temporarily postponed.
The plan has caused much protests and condemnation, including by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights that denounced it as "discriminatory." Last month, it also stoked mass protests across Israel and the West Bank that were dispersed by the police with heavy use of tear gas and stun grenades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway