Israel halts house construction in disputed area
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday cancelled a tender published by the housing ministry to build 1,200 housing units in the controversial "E1" territorial stretch, an official source said.
The ministry had recently published tenders for thousands of housing units in the West Bank and east Jerusalem territories, Xinhua reported.
According to Ha`aretz daily, the plans also include 1,200 housing units in the disputed area, which connects the West Bank settlement of Ma`ale Adumim with Jerusalem.
Netanyahu called upon the ministry officials to cancel the problematic tender, the source said.
"There is no need to pay international prices for a process that does not have great significance," Netanyahu said.
Israel`s construction in "E1" is more controversial than in other territories it annexed in the 1967 war, since the territorial stretch forms a corridor and if it is filled with Israeli settlements, it will block a possible formation of a future Palestinian state in the West Bank.
The last time Israel declared its intention to build in "E1" was in December 2012. Both the US and the European Union harshly criticised Israel`s plan and US officials called it "a pattern of provocative action".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Seven killed, 15 wounded in two separate road mishaps in Andhra's Prakasam
- PHOTOS: Yuvraj Singh, fiancée Hazel Keech spend quality time in London
- Nirbhaya rapist has links with jihadists; UP police advised to keep close watch
- Fire breaks out at Amritsar railway station; damages main server, other equipments
- Why Brexit is a harbinger of climate change?