Israel halts house construction in disputed area
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday cancelled a tender published by the housing ministry to build 1,200 housing units in the controversial "E1" territorial stretch, an official source said.
The ministry had recently published tenders for thousands of housing units in the West Bank and east Jerusalem territories, Xinhua reported.
According to Ha`aretz daily, the plans also include 1,200 housing units in the disputed area, which connects the West Bank settlement of Ma`ale Adumim with Jerusalem.
Netanyahu called upon the ministry officials to cancel the problematic tender, the source said.
"There is no need to pay international prices for a process that does not have great significance," Netanyahu said.
Israel`s construction in "E1" is more controversial than in other territories it annexed in the 1967 war, since the territorial stretch forms a corridor and if it is filled with Israeli settlements, it will block a possible formation of a future Palestinian state in the West Bank.
The last time Israel declared its intention to build in "E1" was in December 2012. Both the US and the European Union harshly criticised Israel`s plan and US officials called it "a pattern of provocative action".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31