Israel hits Gaza with air strikes after rockets fired
Gaza City: Three Palestinians were wounded
early on Tuesday as Israel carried out three air strikes on
Hamas-run Gaza in response to rocket fire from the enclave,
witnesses, medics and the army said.
Two of the raids struck smuggling tunnels on the border
between Gaza and Egypt and one hit east of Gaza City,
witnesses and medics said. The three wounded were caught in
the tunnels` strikes, medics said.
An army spokesman said the air strikes were carried out
in response to two rockets that were fired from the territory
late yesterday, without causing injuries or damage.
He said the strike near Gaza City targeted a "weapons
It marked the latest violence along Gaza`s border, which
has been mostly quiet since a war that Israel launched on
Hamas in Gaza on December 27 in response to rocket fire ended
with mutual ceasefires on January 18.
The ceasefires have largely held despite violations by
Since Israel and Egypt sealed Gaza off to all but basic
goods following the Islamist movement Hamas`s seizure of the
territory in June 2007, a vast trade in goods through hundreds
of tunnels has developed along the border.
More than 130 Palestinians have died in cave-ins or been
killed by Israeli operations targeting the network since the
Hamas takeover of Gaza, medics say.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016