Israel intercepts boat with weapons on Dead Sea
Jerusalem: Israeli security forces on Monday intercepted a boat on the Dead Sea carrying two Palestinians along with assault rifles, ammunition magazines and other unspecified weapons, the military said.
The military did not provide other details but said they were treating the incident as an attempted weapons-smuggling operation and not as an attempted militant attack. Army Radio described the vessel as a rubber dinghy.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the arrests capped a weekslong police operation. He identified the arrested men as West Bank Palestinians in their 40s.
The Dead Sea borders Israel, the West Bank and Jordan. It is only lightly patrolled and there is little boat traffic there.
While Israeli authorities say the lake is a known route for drug smugglers, boats ferrying weapons have only rarely been stopped there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations