Israel intercepts boat with weapons on Dead Sea
Jerusalem: Israeli security forces on Monday intercepted a boat on the Dead Sea carrying two Palestinians along with assault rifles, ammunition magazines and other unspecified weapons, the military said.
The military did not provide other details but said they were treating the incident as an attempted weapons-smuggling operation and not as an attempted militant attack. Army Radio described the vessel as a rubber dinghy.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the arrests capped a weekslong police operation. He identified the arrested men as West Bank Palestinians in their 40s.
The Dead Sea borders Israel, the West Bank and Jordan. It is only lightly patrolled and there is little boat traffic there.
While Israeli authorities say the lake is a known route for drug smugglers, boats ferrying weapons have only rarely been stopped there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP