Israel issues permits to regulate Palestinians
Jerusalem: As many as 101 different types of
permits are issued by Israeli authorities to regulate the
movement of Palestinians in West Bank and in Israel.
Israel`s Civil Administration (ICA)-governed Palestinian
movement permit regime has surged over the years, swelling to
the three digit figure, the Israeli daily Ha`aretz said today.
According to a document obtained by daily, the Israeli
agency governing the movement of Palestinians in the
Palestinian Authority (PA)-ruled West Bank, between the West
Bank, in Israel or beyond the borders of the state issue as
many as 101 different types of permits.
The most common of these permits is the one allowing
Palestinians to work in Israel, or in Jewish settlements in
the West Bank.
There are separate permits for worshipers who attend
Friday prayers at al-Aqsa in Jerusalem and for clerics working
at the site, and for unspecified clergy and church employees.
Medical permits issued by ICA differentiate between
physicians and ambulance drivers, and between "medical
emergency staff" and "medical staff in the seam zone," the
border between Israel and the West Bank.
There is a permit for escorting a patient in an ambulance
and one for simply escorting a patient.
There are separate permits for travelling to a wedding in
the West Bank or travelling to a wedding in Israel, and also
for going to Israel for a funeral, a work meeting, or a court
The security fence constructed by Israel, reportedly gave
rise to an entirely new category of permits for farmers cut
off from their fields.
"Thus, for instance, there is a permit for a `farmer in
the seam zone`, not to be confused with the permit for a
`permanent farmer in the seam zone`", the report said.
Human rights organisations active in the region have
challenged the permit regime on various grounds.
According to a report by the UN Office for the
Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, international agencies
operating in the West Bank `waste` an estimated 20 per cent of
their working days on obtaining permits from the Civil
Administration - applying, renewing and sorting out problems.
Israeli organisation, Machsom Watch, monitoring the
checkpoints, has alleged that the Shin Bet internal security
agency uses the permit regime to recruit informers, the report
Palestinians whose permit requests are rejected "for
security reasons" are often invited to meetings with Shin Bet
agents, who then offer "assistance" in obtaining the desired
permits in exchange for information, it said.
Guy Inbar, spokesman for the Coordinator of Government
Activities in the Territories, was quoted as saying by
Ha`aretz that the ICA is aware of the issues raised in the
report and intends to evaluate them in the coming year as part
of its streamlining programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India