Israel launches twin air strikes on Gaza
Jerusalem: Israeli warplanes launched twin air strikes on the Gaza Strip overnight in response to rocket and mortar fire from the Hamas-controlled territory, an Army spokesman said on Monday.
The strikes targeted "centres of terrorist activities, which have been hit", said the spokesman, referring to projectiles fired from Gaza over the weekend.
Israel considers the Islamist Hamas movement as the only organisation responsible for the firing of the missiles "even if it does not claim responsibility”, said the spokesman.
In December 2008, Israel launched its devastating "Operation Cast Lead" into the Gaza Strip in response to rocket and mortar fire.
The 22-day war, which ended in a ceasefire on January 18, 2009, killed 1,400 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and 13 Israelis, 10 of them soldiers.
In its wake the number of Palestinian attacks dropped significantly, although 230 rockets and mortar rounds were fired at Israel during 2010, according to Army figures.
Right wingers in the Israeli government called on Sunday for tough military action against Gaza militants after a violent weekend on Israel`s border with the Palestinian coastal enclave.
"The government must consider afresh a policy of zero tolerance, exert a heavy price, not let this situation deteriorate," National Infrastructure Minister Uzi Landau told journalists at the weekly cabinet meeting.
"It needs to stop," added Landau, a veteran hawk from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s Likud party.
The military said two rockets had slammed into southern Israel on Sunday, one shortly after midnight and a second later in the morning, bringing the number of rockets and mortar rounds fired across the border this year to 20.
On Saturday, three people on an Israeli kibbutz were wounded, two of them seriously, by mortar fire from the Gaza Strip, for which the militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.
That followed a border firefight between militants and Israeli troops on Friday in which an Israeli soldier was killed by so-called friendly fire.
Israel has so far responded to nearly every instance of projectile fire with air strikes on the Gaza Strip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack