Israel led air strike in Syria on July 5: Report
Washington: US officials say Israel targeted advanced anti-ship cruise missiles near Syria`s principal port city in an air attack carried out earlier this month, The New York Times reported.
The officials say the attack on July 5 near the city of Latakia targeted a type of Russian-made missile called the Yakhont that Russia had sold to the Syrian government, the Times reported on its website yesterday night. Russia is a key political ally and arms supplier of Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime.
The officials didn`t provide details on the strike, including the extent of the damage and how many missiles were used.
The Times reported that the officials declined to be identified because they were discussing intelligence reports. Israel maintains it`s not involved in Syria`s 2-year-old civil war except to stop weapons transfers.
The strike near Latakia was the fourth known air strike in Syria by Israel this year, the newspaper reported.
The attack came to light after Syrian rebels said they were not behind the explosions in Latakia on July 5, according to the Times. Neither US nor Israeli officials have commented publicly on the report.
Reports surfaced earlier this year that Russia had delivered an advanced version of its Yakhont anti-ship cruise missile to Assad`s regime even though Russia had stated that it was committed to peace talks. Those reports prompted the US to complain in May about an "ill-timed" step by Russia.
Such weapons would help to upgrade significantly Syria`s capacity to target manned planes, drones and incoming missiles and would complicate efforts to enforce a no-fly zone over Syria if the US and other nations were to decide to initiate one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you